Professor of Chemistry
Academic Areas: Organic chemistry
The research interests of our lab are placed in synthetic organic chemistry, with an emphasis on asymmetric catalysis. In particular, research efforts are devoted to the development of novel multifunctional ligands and catalysts inspired by natural enzymes for the control of stereochemistry, methodology discovery towards the rapid synthesis of complex molecules, reaction mechanism study.
Prospective students who have keen in synthetic organic chemistry are high welcome to conduct Master/PhD study in our lab. Please feel free to contact us by email.
2004-2008 B.Sc., Chemisty, Zhejiang University
2008-2012 Ph.D., Organic chemistry, National University of Singapore (Advisor: Prof. Yixin Lu)
Since 12/2015 Professor, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Huazhong University of Science and Technolog
2013-2015 Postdoc, Alexander von Humboldt research fellow
Technical University of Munich (Advisor: Prof. Thorsten Bach)
So far has co-authored 29 publications in peer-reviewed journals in chemistry, with total citations >1100, H-index 18. Representative papers (IF>5.0) are listed below.
1. Fangrui Zhong, Alexander Pöthig, Thorsten Bach. “Synergistic Stereocontrol in the Enantioselective Ruthenium-catalyzed Sulfoxidation of Spirodithiolane-Indolones” Chem. Eur. J. 2015, 21, 10310.
2. Tianli Wang, Weijun Yao, Fangrui Zhong, Guohao Pang, Yixin Lu. “Phosphine-Catalyzed Enantioselective g-Addition of 3-Substituted Oxindoles to 2,3-Butadienoates and 2-Butynoates: Use of Prochiral Nucleophiles”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 2964.
3. Fangrui Zhong, Thorsten Bach. “Enantioselective Construction of 2,3-Dihydrofuro[2,3-b]quinolines through Supramolecular Hydrogen Bonding Interactions” Chem. Eur. J. 2014, 20, 13522.
4. Fangrui Zhong, Xiaowei Dou, Weijun Yao, Qiang Zhu, Yixin Lu. “Chiral Phosphine-Catalyzed Asymmetric Michael Addition of Oxindoles” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 943. (highlighted in SYNFACTS 2013, 216, times cited >45)
5. Jie Luo, Haifei Wang, Fangrui Zhong, Jacek, Kwiatkowski, Li-Wen Xu, Yixin Lu. “Highly diastereoselective and enantioselective direct Michael addition of phthalide derivatives to nitroolefins” Chem. Commun. 2013, 49, 5775.
6. Xiaowei Dou, Bo Zhou, Weijun Yao, Fangrui Zhong, Chunhui Jiang, Yixin Lu. “A Facile and Versatile Approach for the Asymmetric Synthesis of Oxindoles with a 3-Sulfenyl -substituted Quaternary Stereocenter”. Org. Lett. 2013, 15, 4920.
7. Fangrui Zhong, Jie Luo, Guo-Ying Chen, Xiaowei Dou, Yixin Lu. “Highly Enantioselective Regiodivergent Allylic Alkylations of MBH Adducts with Phthalides” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 10222. (highlighted in SYNFACTS 2012, 906, times cited >55)
8. Fangrui Zhong, Xiaoyu Han, Youqing Wang, Yixin Lu. “Highly Enantioselective [4 + 2] Annulations Catalyzed by Amino Acid-Based Phosphines: Synthesis of Functionalized Cyclohexenes and 3-Spirocyclohexene-2-oxindoles”, Chem. Sci. 2012, 3, 1231.(times cited >65)
9. Xiaoyu Han, Fangrui Zhong, Youqing Wang, Yixin Lu. “Versatile Enantioselective [3 + 2] Cyclization between Imines and Allenoates Catalyzed by Dipeptide-Based Phosphines”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 767. (times cited >65)
10. Jie Luo, Haifei Wang, Fangrui Zhong, Jacek Kwiatkowski, Li-Wen Xu, Yixin Lu. “Direct Asymmetric Mannich Reaction of Phthalides: Facile Access to Chiral Substituted Isoquinolines and Isoquinolinones”, Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 4707.
11. Xiaowei Dou, Fangrui Zhong, Yixin Lu. “A Highly Enantioslective Synthesis of Functionalized 2,3-Dihydrofurans via a Modified Feist−Bénary Reaction” Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 13945.
12. Guo-Ying Chen, Fangrui Zhong, Yixin Lu. “Asymmetric Allylic Alkylation of Isatin-derived Morita-Baylis-Hillman Carbonates with Nitroalkanes”, Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 3955.
13. Fangrui Zhong, Weijun Yao, Xiaowei Dou, Yixin Lu. “Enantioselective Construction of 3-Hydroxy Oxindoles via Decarboxylative Addition of b-Ketoacids to Isatins” Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 4018.
14. Fangrui Zhong, Guoying Chen, Xiaoyu Han, Weijun Yao, Yixin Lu. “Asymmetric Construction of Functionalized Bicyclic imides via [3+2] Annulation of MBH Carbonates Catalyzed by Dipeptide-based Phosphines” Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 3764. (times cited >45)
15. Fangrui Zhong, Xiaoyu Han, Youqing Wang, Yixin Lu. “Highly Enantioselective [3+2] Annulation of Morita-Baylis-Hillman Adducts Mediated by L-Threonine Derived Bifunctional Phosphines: Creation of 3-Spirocyclopentene-2-oxindoles with Two Consecutive Quaternary Centers”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 7837. (highlighted in SYNFACTS 2011, 1020, times cited >200)
16. Fangrui Zhong, Youqing Wang, Xiaoyu Han, Kuo-Wei Huang, Yixin Lu. “L-Threonine-Derived Bifunctional Phosphine-Sulfonamide Catalyst-Promoted Enantioselective Aza-Morita-Baylis-Hillman Reaction”, Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 1310. (highlighted in SYNFACTS 2011, 551, times cited >50)
17. Fangrui Zhong, Guo-Ying Chen, Yixin Lu. “Enantioselective Morita-Baylis-Hillman Reaction of Isatins with Acrylates: Facile Creation of 3-Hydroxy-2-Oxindoles”, Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 82. (times cited >80)
18. Xiaoyu Han, Youqing Wang, Fangrui Zhong, Yixin Lu. “Enantioselective [3 + 2] Cycloaddition of Allenes to Acrylates Catalyzed by Dipeptide-derived Novel Phosphines: Facile Creation of Functionalized Cyclopentenes Containing Quaternary Stereogenic Centers”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 1726 (times cited >125).
19. Guo-Ying Chen, Fangrui Zhong, Yixin Lu. “Highly Enantioselective and Regiospecific Substitution of Morita-Baylis-Hillman Carbonates with Nitroalkanes” Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 6070.
20. Xiao Han, Fangrui Zhong, Yixin Lu. “Highly Enantioselective Amination Reactions of Fluorinated Ketoesters Catalyzed by Novel Chiral Guanidines Derived from Cinchona Alkaloids”, Adv. Synth. Catal. 2010, 352, 2778.
1. Humboldt research fellowship (2013-2015)
2. Wang Gungwu Medal & Prize (2012, the only recipient annually in natural science in NUS)
3. Singapore National Institute of Chemistry Gold Medal (2012, the only recipient annually in Singapore)
4. Nominated and shortlisted participant for the 4th HOPE MEETING (By JSPS) in Japan, 2012 (one of five representatives of Singapore)
5. 2012 Reaxys PhD prize (finalist)
6. Chinese government award for outstanding self-financed students abroad, 2011;
7. Excellent graduate of Zhejiang Province, 2008;
8. The national scholarship, 2007;