Associate Professor of Chemistry
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Areas: Bioinorganic Chemistry
Dr Zhou's research focuses on the biological functions of selenoproteins and their roles in metabolism and disease. Selenium, an essential trace element in human nutrition, is closely related to human health through incorporation into selenoproteins which have a wide range of important biological functions. Up to now, 25 selenoproteins have been found in mammals. However, the in vivo functions of most selenoproteins remain unclear. Currently, we are using cell culture and animal models to study the molecular mechanisms and signal pathways for regulation of glucose and lipid metabolism by selenium and selenoproteins. Moreover, we are also searching for novel molecular pathological mechanisms and therapeutics in diabetes and metabolic disorders, including natural products and chemical drugs.
PhD in biochemistry and molecular biology, 2009, Huazhong University of Science and Technology;
MS in inorganic chemistry, 2003, Huazhong University of Science and Technology;
BS in applied chemistry, 2000, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
11/2010-present Associate Professor, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
11/2010-10/2011 Associate Research Scholar, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, USA
11/2005-10/2010 Instructor, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
07/2003-10/2005 Teaching assistant, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
• Zhou J, Huang K, Lei X G. Selenium and diabetes—Evidence from animal studies. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2013, 65: 1548-1556. (Highlighted Article)
• Zhou J, Bai Z, Xu H, Huang K. Selenoproteins and diabetes—Dual effect of selenium. Progress in Chemistry. 2013, 25: 488-494. (Invited review)
• Jia Y, Zhou J, Liu H, Huang K. Effect of Methionine sulfoxide reductase B1 (SelR) gene silencing on peroxynitrite-induced F-actin disruption in human lens epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014, 443: 876-881.
• Li Y, Jia Y, Zhou J, Huang K. Effect of methionine sulfoxide reductase B1 silencing on high-glucose-induced apoptosis of human lens epithelial cells. Life Sci. 2013, 92:193-201.
• Du S, Zhou J, Jia Y, Huang K. SelK is a novel ER stress-regulated protein and protects HepG2 cells from ER stress agent-induced apoptosis. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2010, 502(2): 137-43.
• Zhou J, Huang KX. Peroxynitrite mediates muscle insulin resistance in mice via nitration of IRβ/IRS-1 and Akt. Toxicol Appl Pharm. 2009, 241(1): 101-110.
• Zhou J, He XM, Huang KX. Bidirectional regulation of insulin receptor autophosphorylation and kinase activity by peroxynitrite. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2009, 488(1): 1-8.
• Zhou J, Li HD, Zeng JH, Huang KX. Effects of peroxynitrite-induced protein tyrosine nitration on insulin-stimulated tyrosine phosphorylation in HepG2 cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2009, 331(1-2): 49-57.
• Zhou J, Han DX. Safety evaluation of protein of silkworm (Antheraea pernyi) pupae. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006, 44(7): 1123-1130.
• Zhou J, Han DX. Proximate, amino acid and mineral composition of pupae of the silkworm Antheraea pernyi in China. J Food Compos Anal. 2006, 19(8): 850-853.
• Zhou J, Peng H, Huang KX, Xu HB. Effects of pH values on the conformation of salmon calcitonin in aqueous solution. Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition). 2006, 34(5): 115-117.
• Zeng JH, Zhou J, Huang KX. Effect of selenium on pancreatic proinflammatory cytokines in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. J Nutr Biochem. 2009, 20(7): 530-536.
• Zeng JH, Du SQ, Zhou J, Huang KX. Role of SelS in lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response in hepatoma HepG2 cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008, 478(1): 1-6.
• Basic Chemistry
• Medicinal Chemistry